For today’s board meeting, I am providing the below synopsis so that you can know what went on.
Board Members Present: All except Marion Weil and Alan Silver.
Pledge of Allegiance led by Mark Goodman.
Jerry Dinerman’s Opening Remarks and Announcements:
I am acting President in Marion’s absence due to her recovery from hip surgery; we have a quorum present. There are some changes to the Agenda. Under Old Business, Number 1 [writer’s note: Ballroom curtain panels (Remove or clean)] is postponed for additional information needed. Number 2, iguana control – we are postponing this to get more information. Under New Business, Number 1, PBB Discussion of two new Palm diseases and Treatment, we will be hearing from them today; Number 3, Resident-visitor entrance at guardhouse wiring repair – removed, we need more information; Number 4, January Late Fees – waiver or remain – the discussion is dropped, it would entail selective enforcement which would be improper and could be a liability; and we are adding a Number 5, three new entertainment contracts proposed. I want to wish all a safe and happy holiday. And now we will have the First Residents’ Input Session.
First Residents’ Input Session:
1. Vicki Roberts: Good morning, Vicki Roberts, Landon Circle. I see that the Agenda lists another in camera private Board meeting, and it is again labeled “Personnel.” The last time the Board met for “personnel” matters it actually involved a resident, so that was naughty and not nice. A resident is an owner, and by definition, not personnel. Personnel are employees for example. There is written proof that the Board actually met in camera, in private, at what the Board called a “personnel” matter and in the very same sentence, Eileen Olitsky for the Board wrote that they voted on action against a Member/Owner at that in camera purported personnel meeting. That meeting and vote again violated the Florida statute which requires open meetings after required notice on non-personnel and non-attorney-client privileged matters. For the life of me I do not understand why this Board seems to be on a mission to conduct itself naughtily over and over again. So now you have another in camera private meeting planned at the conclusion of this public meeting, with the listed purpose of discussing “personnel” again. It seems as if that is a catch-all phrase to insulate the Board at the expense of the community. Are you again planning on discussing a Member/Owner of our community at this in camera personnel session you have planned today, yes or no? [writer’s note: brief silence]. Jerry: repeat your question please and I will consider whether it needs to be answered or not. Vicki: Are you again planning on discussing a Member/Owner of our community at this in camera personnel session you have planned today, yes or no? Jerry: the answer to what we are having today, and I know it’s not supposed to be in camera it’s supposed to be some other wording, right? But it’s a personnel meeting, this is strictly about the employees of the community, their wages for 2020, period, that’s all we’re discussing. Vicki: thank you very much. [writer’s note: the wording of in camera for personnel matters is correct if it is limited to that, so there was no error in the wording based on Jerry’s response. Furthermore, to those of you inquiring, the Member discipline that occurred during the previous illegal in camera personnel meeting which the Board, through Eileen Olitsky, admitted to in an email, was meted out ironically because that Member called out Eileen Olitsky for breaking the rules in connection with her responsibilities as Board liaison to the Entertainment Committee. So, for calling out the rule-breaker, the Board met illegally and voted to call out the Member. In connection with that discipline, Eileen Olitsky made written statements which she then disseminated to a non-Board member that were false, defamatory, and were an invasion of privacy. The Member reserves all rights. Immediately after the Board meeting, a treasured and well respected long-time Resident/Owner, a wonderful unrelated person, one of the kindest people we have met here, approached me and asked for details and was aghast at what transpired and the lack of due process.]
2. Howard Olarsch, Landon Circle: regarding the iguanas, there was an at least five-foot critter along the canal, if you wait, costs will go up; doing something preemptive works. Jerry: the costs are exorbitant, $160,000 for one year; this is why we need more information.
Approval of Minutes: Linda Arbeit. Move to approve December 4, 2019 Minutes. Seconded by Eileen. Motion approved 5-0.
Treasurer’s Report: Mark Goodman: [writer’s note: there were handouts given at the inception of the meeting which are self-explanatory, so I will not be reciting what is clearly on the handouts and available to all. Mark did a great job going over the details of the budget items.] Mark: I was surprised that there was a slight income…New Business: financials – we’re seeing a few late in payment, we anticipated this but will add $10,000 to the reserves because we anticipate greater than $10,000 in collections – already projected. Put in the reserves to make sure we have, in order to proceed with this case and legal items.
Motion to accept the treasurer’s report: Passed 5-0.
Jerry: change the order, we have Patrick here from Palm Beach Broward to speak to us regarding the Palm tree diseases.
Patrick: I am a certified pest control operator for Palm Beach Broward. There are two situations. One is a problem for about 10 years in Florida, called Texas Date Palm Decline, it’s a disease and it is similar to lethal yellow coconut, University of Florida I work closely with, has been recommended, still being studied; now it attacks the Phoenix variety, that’s the big ones, we’re proposing keeping an eye on, and each community, for the first signs of this disease, it has been identified in an area near the airport [writer’s note: he did not identify which airport], it’s at Haverville Military. I recommend we monitor the palms and when we see the first signs, then I recommend to test the same variety that’s clean, remove the diseased one, and treat with tetracycline the neighboring trees before they get it. It is a choice that the association will make. It is 8 injections over a 2-year period, and it will protect a palm that does not have the disease. Once it has it, the tetracycline treatment will not save it. My recommendation is to monitor, keep an eye on, and when we see it, deal with it. This is the University of Florida stance as well.
The other problem with a proposal is the new “scale” attacking so far about 12 varieties of plants and palms that it prefers as a host. [writer’ note: it’s called a scale insect per a quick internet search.] Patrick: Here, on the varieties of plants and palms, I have made a proposal to treat all the 4 main varieties to try and keep it under control. Pest control is control, not eradication. Palms that are being affected now are Robellini, and there is approximately one at every house, Foxtails, also a lot of, Bottle Palms, those are the short stubby ones, and it can get on some of the orange Bird of Paradise. We should take action to prevent it from getting to a large “scale” no pun intended. This pest came into Miami two years ago, last year it got to Boca Raton, this year it’s up here. It came from another country. [writer’s note: didn’t we all at some point back in time?] Patrick: We don’t have the biological predator present where it originated. We have three to four pests per year come in from other countries and regions, such as the ficus white fly and the spiral white fly. I would take action on the scale before it gets crazy out of hand.
Jerry: we have one proposal, not enough to take action. Mark: question, Palm Beach Broward has been here, was it not noticed last year or the year before? It just came in? Patrick: Over the last six months to one year and it’s getting to be the threshold. We don’t treat issues that are insignificant. Otherwise I would be spraying everything all the time. Mark: The Board is charged with protecting the trees; you recommend that we do this as soon as possible?
Patrick: The longer you wait, the higher the population will grow and be more difficult to control. It is on enough plant material and the quantity now is the time to do it. It sucks on the leaf and sucks the nutrients from it. Plant leaves will look brown and yellow and then die. This scale does not feed in the area of the plant where a systemic is moved through it. It feeds in between there. I have to spray the foliage, it will be an overhead spray, and it is a more involved process for us to do it. It’s not just one guy doing the drench on the bottom; we need another guy for the unintended targets – people, pets. Mark: is this hazardous over time? Patrick: it’s a caution labeled product by University of Florida, low danger item. We have to control the drift of the product. It takes more time. Eileen: I’ve noticed two of my plants look sick. Treating the entire community at once, what is the role of the homeowner? Jerry: Patrick, this discussion is getting ahead of ourselves, we need a complete report from the Landscaping Committee and then need specific proposals. [Jerry to Eileen:] This is not the time to talk about your plant problems. Eileen: I think we need to do haste with this. Harvey: I am the liaison to Landscaping, we do have one proposal from the Landscaping Committee. Jerry: we need more than one proposal. Harvey: we have from Palm Beach Broward. Jerry: it’s up for the landscaping committee to do. Harvey: will it do any side effect on other plants?
Patrick: no, it’s all safe. The label says stay off until it is dry, and then it is not an issue. Signs will be put up. Eileen: I walk my dog, I see signs all the time, never removed, how do we know? Patrick: if the grass is dry, it’s ok. Eileen: it rains here, it’s wet a lot. Signs are often not removed immediately, if it rains in between, is it safe to walk the dog? Patrick: once it rains, it’s washed. Harvey: put the date on the sign and then 24 hours; it should be up to the homeowner. Patrick: the plants cost 3 to 4 to $600 for replacements. We are at that level now. We should take action. Jerry: thank you.
Property Manager’s Report: Debra Balka: the staff will be off December 24 through December 27, 2019. Final mow of the year is December 30 [writer’s note: Arthur Andelson’s birthday!]. Trimming is on Angel Wing now, will be on Corbel on Friday, and then finish. Palm strapping – 19 of them, quarterly as needed, to prevent liability to prevent frond dropping, will be done tomorrow. Hurricane transom shutters were ok to November 30th. We have 13 shutters still closed. Please advise as to enforcement. The shed: permit waiting on fire [writer’s note: department]; patio furniture – due to the size, furniture and glass table to remain under the portico, will not be moved. Glass table is not to be used as footrests or to sit on. Iguanas – sited, not many complaints; to treat the common area we would need to see a problem. One to 10 in the neighborhood is not a problem – in cooler weather they will move elsewhere; treatment is costly, there are many vendors. The canals are not owned by Cascade Lakes, they belong to the Lake Worth Water District. They will eradicate on the banks if they feel appropriate. If it is on your property or in the pool area, the association will hire a trapper; now they are not in our lakes; vendor will check the lakes. It is a very costly experience. Thank you and have a nice holiday. [writer’s note: Debra was very thorough, speaks very fast, so I may have missed a line or two.] Debra continuing: As far as the maintenance coupons, they were mailed, if you have not received, then come to the front desk with your check for $1,517 and we will process on site. First Service Residential/Click Pay – they handle over 3,000 associations, Cascade Lakes is not labeled, do not stop the payment, you will be charged $30. We do it instantly for you. If you have not received coupons, all 600 were mailed. You don’t need the coupon to make payment – come into the office, we will assist you. The assessment is a separate account – that has not been mailed yet. The first payment is due February 1st. Thank you.
Jerry: Committee Reports.
Barry Gordon: Landscaping: the trees: it is in the community; the clubhouse is affected. Treat right away or they will die. To get competitive bids is ridiculous. We hired Palm Beach Broward to do everything. We have a bid - $15,000 to do the entire community. Shelly and I urge that we do this at once. [writer’s note: how about negotiating with PBB for a lesser amount and then ultimately doing a deal with them for less – they want the business, believe me. Everything is negotiable, you just need to be savvy at it. And even if it is $15K, this sure sounds like an emergency with the clock ticking. Later, the Board voted to accept the contract, see below; the time to negotiate was when it was first proposed by PBB, so this was an opportunity to save money lost. For the future, whenever there is a proposed contract, that is the time to start some savvy negotiating.]
Phyllis Martin: Facilities: the patio furniture is in place; we request that you do not put shoes and feet on the tabletops [writer’s note: who does this?] The December committee meeting was cancelled because a hold was placed on funds. After the survey, we will work with the Long-Term Planning Committee to create a blueprint for the committee. The committee would like to thank Allan and Iris Bauman for their nice comments on the message board regarding the furniture. [writer’s note: Allan just celebrated his 90th birthday, Happy Birthday, Allan!]
Diane Green: Entertainment Committee: [writer’s note: finally showed up this time; turned to the audience and started to speak.] Jerry: speak to the Board. Diane: [writer’s note: Diane then turned to the Board] We were busy seeing showcases, there are three contracts to be signed. [writer’s note: per Arthur Andelson who was present at that Entertainment Committee meeting, and who was the Secretary of the Committee at the time, and confirmed by another Entertainment Committee member who was also present at that meeting, there was never any Committee discussion or vote regarding these three contacts, just Diane and Eileen Olitsky who got together and decided to present these contracts to the Board, so the writer again calls out more rule-breaking emanating from this committee, which in turn is rubber-stamped by the Board, although in this instance it appears that the Board was duped by the Board liaison, Eileen Olitsky, who failed to inform them that there was never any Entertainment Committee vote on these contracts, there wasn’t even any discussion about these contracts or these entertainers. Further, these contracts were not even part of the Agenda because Diane had specifically limited the Agenda to New Year’s Eve and the Brunch, and this Committee meeting took place the day before the last show case series show to determine who the Committee would ultimately choose, so the time line proves that this was never discussed or voted on by the Committee and was done surreptitiously between Diane and Eileen.] Diane: New Year’s Eve: [writer’s note: per Arthur, the then-Secretary of the Entertainment Committee, the timeline for New Year’s Eve was actually put together exclusively and solely by another very talented Committee Member, not the Chairperson, who worked really hard on it, and put it together prior to leaving out of town for a time, so let’s give credit to where it is due; that Committee Member was thorough, worked with the food people, Wood & Fire, so thank you Arthur for making sure the proper person gets the proper credit.] Diane: 7:30pm doors open, cocktails, dinner at 8:15pm, comedian at 10pm, dessert at 11pm, and midnight, champagne. There will be door prizes – gift cards. Two tickets to a showcase were approved by the Board to give to a resident [writer’s note: this was never on any Board Agenda, and never voted for in any public Board meeting, so again this is an illegal act either between Diane and Eileen or by the whole Board]. Diane: Brunch: 10:30am starts, 11:00 come inside, alcohol will be served. 2020 Shows: kicks off in January, we need to sell more tickets and after the shows is an after party. Juke Box Bingo: moved from January, too many events, to March 27, more of an evening event. Happy Days Sock Hop: [writer’s note: again, credit should be given where credit is due, this was Arthur’s idea]. Diane: February 8, table selection is January 6 in the large card room so as not to interfere with the Health Fair in the ballroom. March: Entertainment and Recreation Committees planning to make Fun Day a little more fun; Dance lessons again with the Baumans will happen.
Jeff Green: for Sue Leonard, Long Range Planning Chairperson asked me to read her report; we are busy creating the community survey, meeting tomorrow to finalize the plans for the roll out. It is coming in January.
Arnie Green for Larry Jacobowitz: on the shed, the proposed shed is a complete eyesore. Parking spots will be too close to the building and difficult. Palm Beach County does not live here. Per engineering, it should be considered a non-permanent structure – attached to a concrete base; Palm Beach County has less restrictive rules for non-permanent structures. 38 x 119 then 38 x 20 or 30 x 20 [writer’s note: I was not clear on the reduced size proposed.] Arnie: It should be put south of the Pickleball courts. Engineering recommended a non-insulated pre-fab shed on a concrete base made of steel, it is much cheaper. Engineering will go meet with Palm Beach Zoning. [writer’s note: zoning commission meeting should be a breeze – they passed Barkley Place with dumpsters facing the mobile home park and no room for wide angle entry by trucks into the complex, so this should go swimmingly well.]
Jon Nast: Safety and Security Committee: looking for alternative vendor for access and gate maintenance. Asking for a listing of local contacts. Debra: no problem. Jon: Stop and Speed Limit signs – suggest we replace with reflective material which is more visible at night and larger speed limit signs. One vendor has not shown interest in getting back to us, we are meeting with another tomorrow. Additional Street Lights: FPL has a discount program, Mark also doing work on this, will coordinate so as not to duplicate efforts. Speed Control: preliminary research authorized re alternatives, pricing, will delegate at the next meeting, January 22 at 10am. Debra: I have a vendor, met at the Expo, I will get together with you prior. Jon: Fire Extinguishers: looking at bulk buying for residents. The Fire Department does not recommend fire extinguishers for over 55 communities because they think we will be fumbling around and will end up calling 911 [writer’s note: meaning that it would cause excess delays in calling 911]. Jon: At this moment we’re dropping it; will discuss at the next meeting. Cloud Based Storage: of security videos – we will research, it is recommended by the Sheriff’s office; reviewed the property over the summer; will coordinate with the Information Technology group.
Mimi Spinner: Community Relations Chairman, Cascade Lakes 2020 blood drive is Friday, February 7th from 8:30am to 2pm. We will have a table at the health fair January 6th. Sign up [writer’s note: I believe she is now again talking about the February 7th blood drive] in the lobby or the fitness center or on the tennis bulletin board. The easiest way is to send me an email or go to the documents section on the Cascade Lakes website and fill out an e-form. We have a nucleus of people who go every year, however, we need new residents to participate and bring in your spouse, neighbors, and talk about the blood drive.
Item 1: Jerry: removed, postponed for additional information. [writer’s note: Ballroom curtain panels – remove or clean.]
Item 2. Jerry: Iguanas: we already discussed, there will be no further action at this point in time.
1.Jerry: Already had the discussion about Palm Beach Broward [writer’s note: two new palm diseases and treatment]. Harvey: the association is responsible for the pest control of the homeowner trees and we could be liable if the trees die. So, it needs to be taken up sooner than later. They gave us a proposal not to exceed $14,930 and broken down by pods. They would treat the trees from the top, not in rain or wind, but we need to do it, it’s already here in the community. My motion is to accept the proposed not to exceed $14,930. Eileen: second. Mark: I remind you, I’m for this, when inspected they didn’t do the entire community but close to it. Eileen: we have to respect the landscaping committee and vendor [writer’s note: based on the above facts and conduct of this Board member, I find it ironic that Eileen is here talking about respecting others]. Eileen: if it’s an emergency, then second opportunity is not beneficial. Harvey: we have a contract with Palm Beach Broward; if we use a different vendor then PBB is not responsible. [writer’s note: that is an excellent point, Harvey.] Shelly Andreas: as to PBB, are they the greatest? No, but I trust them. One year we bid out, and they [writer’s note: another vendor] screwed us royally and we paid double. I’m asking you and as Harvey so aptly put it, if you don’t do something now, you will be responsible. I am asking you to pass the proposal, get it done. Vote: Linda: I make a motion to accept the contract with PBB not to exceed $14,930. Harvey: I move [writer’s note: move to do the same?] Eileen: Second. Motion PASSED: 5-0.
2. Commercial Fitness Contract: Mark: that will be a budgeted item. For the equipment. Eileen: this is the second year we’ve used this company and had the contract; looking over the contract, make sure it’s safe. I move to approve the contract, $1,470 for the year including $245 [writer’s note: something] and sales tax. Mark: Second. Motion PASSED 5-0.
3. Postponed. [writer’s note: Resident-visitor entrance at guardhouse wiring repair.] Harvey: why need to repair? Debra: the system is not working correctly. The guards are using a clicker to open the gate. The wiring is at fault, it’s 20 years old. Probably needs to be redone, if they don’t have to bore underground which would be more expensive. It needs to be fixed. In rain and cold weather, the clicker doesn’t work right. Jerry: Alan was charged with finding another vendor. Debra: one company, ABDI, does everything. Eileen: I’ve been here seven years, I am so against band-aids on what’s broken, it’s throwing out money. If we can find vendors [writer’s note: so many of Eileen’s sentences start with the word “I” that I got distracted and did not get the complete sentence; my bad!] Debra: Alan and the group were looking at it. Nobody has come to me. The clicker has failed once and was replaced. If it fails, then we will have to open the gate, we have no choice, and you have to open both. Jerry: let’s get another clicker as a backup, the dollar value can’t be that high. Eileen: at least get the gate vendor. Debra: we can get one vendor for both, how do you … [writer could not get rest of sentence] Jerry: this is a discussion only, no acts.
[Writer’s note: Item Number 4: removed per above, see Jerry’s opening remarks.]
5: Eileen: The Entertainment Contracts for 2021 [writer’s note: this was added as Number 5, three new entertainment contracts proposed. Please see writer’s notes above under Entertainment Committee Report by Diane Green.] Eileen: Three showcases. 1. Steven Solomon, 90-minute show, comedian, January 30th. 2. Mary Ellen Hooper (comedian), another [writer missed name], magician, February 27th. 3. Gary Delina comedian and Diane singer, diva type, March 13th. [writer’s note: per Arthur, and as stated above, this was never voted on by the Entertainment Committee or even discussed, the committee was never shown the contracts or the amounts, this was done by Diane Green (Chair), and Eileen Olitsky (Board Liaison). Naughty, naughty rule-breakers once again.] Jerry: we also have Sarge in January we already voted on. Linda: I move to accept and approve all three contracts. Eileen: Second. Diane: [writer’s note, Diane mentioned that they “stayed in budget.”] [writer’s additional note: What budget? No budget was ever provided to the Entertainment Committee and the contracts were never provided to the Entertainment Committee, or to the Community at large, since they are not confidential because they are not personnel. They are outside vendor contracts, so again this Committee’s leadership and Board oversight is not only lacking but failed to give the Committee and the Community the opportunity to decline the contracts, the latter of which is provided for by the Florida statute, that is to say, the residents have the right to veto any contract and Arthur reports that he actually mentioned this in a prior Entertainment Committee meeting that no contracts with entertainers are confidential by law; Arthur also offered an alternative at the November 24, 2019 meeting of this committee. Here is what Arthur came up with:
Arthur suggested that before we enter into any new entertainment contracts, to solve two issues (making sure we end up with a profit, and making sure the talent is comfortable with not compromising their purported quotes), that we please note the following:
1. All contracts entered into by the HOA are available for inspection and copying by any member per Florida Statute 720.303(5) and hence not confidential by law; and
2. We should have a contract that will minimize potential losses to us as well as maximize our profits and make our entertainers happy to perform here.
The entertainers want confidentiality because they want to protect their “quote” for future work at other communities. Confidentiality is illegal under the statute. To resolve this conflict between what the entertainers want and what the statute requires, Arthur suggested having a contract with the entertainers that provides for a base price to them plus an additional structured payment to the talent that would not dilute their purported “quote,” and thus remove that concern by the entertainers and their representatives, as follows:
1. There would be a guaranteed dollar amount that the entertainer would receive based on a predesignated number of seats we will guarantee to sell and at what price, which will be slightly less than the actual number of seats we have previously sold so that we have a cushion. We also then know what our break-even number is based on this guaranteed number of tickets. Anything above that will include an automatic profit per seat for our community.
2. The Entertainment industry refers to “back end points” which in this scenario would be the payment of a designated amount per seat sold above the guarantee to the entertainer.
--If calculated correctly and we sell out, the entertainer could earn more money this way than how we did things in the past.
--If calculated correctly, and written correctly, and negotiated correctly, the Entertainment Committee should not have a loss and actually have a greater profit than in previous years.
Arthur also stated that he and his wife own a Talent Agency that is licensed and bonded. He asked Richard Green (budget person and Chairman of the Budget Committee) to do calculations to give an idea of what base points (guarantee number) we can use. Arthur said Vicki, who is also an attorney as well as a licensed talent agent, has written and negotiated hundreds of entertainment contracts for high profile people that utilize this payment method and would help if we request her assistance.
All of this was presented to Diane as part of the proposed Minutes for the November 19, 2019 Committee Meeting, which Arthur prepared as Secretary. Diane deleted all of it and sent out revised Minutes which said in total on this issue: “Arthur suggested that before we enter into any new entertainment contracts, to solve two issues (making sure we end up with a profit, and making sure the talent is comfortable with not compromising their purported quotes.” That’s it, and this issue to date has not been raised again.] Motion PASSES: 5-0. [writer’s note: is the Board aware that it voted on a matter that was not legally brought to it and was not transparent to the community? Board liaison Eileen Olitsky presented for the Board’s consideration and vote an illegal motion. Naughty, naughty, and definitely not nice to the community.]
Second Residents’ Input Session:
1.Phil Kennedy: Haddon Parkway. Facilities Committee and Board, by ignoring the state of the roads and not sealing them is not the answer. A penny saved is a pound foolish. I have a friend in The Cascades – they have a couple of lawsuits there, the roads have hairline cracks, they never sealed them. They’re presently right now at $1,300,000 to resurface the roads. To the Facilities and the Board, it’s a small amount of money to reseal and get the fine cracks sealed up so they don’t get larger. We have an emergency on our hands. Seal the roads and fine cracks. Jerry: we’ll take it under advisement.
2.Vicki Roberts [me]: Vicki Roberts, Landon Circle. Please check out our new website, CascadeLakesResidents.com. Arthur made our new embroidered shirts that we are both wearing today. Thank you. Jerry: Thank you.
3.Phyllis Martin-Hirsch: Landon Circle. I have come across more and more iguanas on the golf course, they are positively prehistoric and terrifying. Keep your eyes open, I’m gonna shoot one. [writer’s note: I don’t think they are terrifying; they are beautiful creatures just like all creatures. To the extent they are over-multiplying, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission recommends against shooting them; also, there are anti-cruelty laws that apply. You are allowed to humanely kill them, although that seems somewhat subjective, but calling a professional is preferred.]
4. Jim Gray: Primrose Park. I am a snowbird. Don’t want to spend more money; every time I come there’s a problem with the audio system. Can’t we get it fixed so we can hear what’s going on? [writer’s note: the microphones are defective and blowing our ears out; they had to be cut to prevent this, and we were left with having to speak loudly.] Harvey: they’re working on it.
Round Table Discussion:
Jerry: Barkley Place. The proposed site is just south of Tuscany Bay. More than a week ago I went to the meeting of the Palm Beach County Zoning Commission. Arthur [Andelson] was present, he was the only other resident present [writer’s note: for the Board, both Jerry and Marion attended along with Arthur. Jerry, thank you for publicly recognizing Arthur.] Jerry, continuing: This was about variances. It’s a very narrow strip, no room for landscaping and safety in the front or in the rear. They got the variances and three commissioners approved it. As cars and trucks enter, especially trucks going down Military Trail, there’s no cut back. An auto can go in and slow down traffic behind it. Trucks would have to go into the middle lane and make a wide swing. At the opening prayer, the commission said it works for the safety of the residents. They did the opposite. There is another meeting, the County Commissioners, who will give the final action on that, tomorrow or next week. [writer’s note: Jerry later called Arthur and me and advised me that it is tomorrow at 9:30am at the County Commissioner’s Office, 301 Olive Ave., West Palm Beach. However upon further research, I determined that the County Commission met December 17th on other matters and in fact the final action for Barkley Place is scheduled on the Zoning Commission’s Agenda for December 19, 2019 at 9:30am which is located at 2300 N. Jog Road, Agenda Item #14, and here is the information: Agenda is at this link:http://discover.pbcgov.org/pzb/zoning/Hearings-Meetings-BCC/2019-12-19-Agenda.pdf and Barkley complete revised application is at this link: http://discover.pbcgov.org/pzb/zoning/Hearings-Meetings-BCC/2019-12-19-14.pdf .] Jerry, continuing: This is in my mind a big, big problem. It includes a relatively large restaurant, with trash, possible rodents, and there is a medical suite. They followed the rules for parking spaces, reduced two times. I just want you to be aware. This is an on-coming project.
Meeting Adjourned. In camera meeting follows.
Writer’s concluding comments: And that’s what went down at today’s board meeting. Kudos to Jerry for running a great meeting and showing great leadership. Waiting for the livestream and recording of BOD meetings – per Harvey, Alan was tasked with that (he’s away) and it might take months. Writer’s view: it could be done in an afternoon; we will keep monitoring the situation. Cheerio!